In Long Term Care and Skilled Nursing, having staff know each person’s life story and preferences can mean improvement in care. State regulations play an important role in ensuring quality of care in senior living. Meaningful engagement is essential for quality of life. CMS regulations related to LifeBio are:
- Person-Centered Care– 483.5 – Enhance quality of life and recognize individuality.
- Comprehensive Person-Centered Care Planning– 483.21 (F636, F656) – Know strengths, goals, life history, and preferences. Attain or maintain the resident’s highest practicable physical, mental, and psychosocial wellbeing.
- Life Enrichment/Activities– 483.24 (F679) – Know interests, hobbies, and cultural preferences. Create opportunities for each resident to have a meaningful life by supporting domains of wellbeing.
- Behavioral Health/Dementia Care– 483.40 & 483.24 (F679) – Individualized care plans must be developed based on resident’s previous lifestyle and reduce boredom, loneliness, and frustration. Knowing the person’s history is key.
Taking these guidelines into consideration, LifeBio has created a streamlined process to meet the needs of each community. Staff, volunteers, or residents with their families can help gather story information needed to create LifeBio materials.
The story process in Long Term Care and Skilled Nursing typically creates three products.
- Life Story Book – For the resident to keep
- Snapshot Summary – To display for others to learn more about the person
- Action Plan – For staff education behind-the-scenes
LifeBio can customize agreements for every community.
- Getting Started Box and Getting Started Training for staff
- Phone Interviews with family members of residents with Dementia or other communication challenges
- Website & app access for families and residents to build and save stories online
- LifeBio journals with life story questions
- LifeBio Connect interview training for volunteers, family, and staff
- Life Story Books, Snapshot summaries, and Action Plans created by LifeBio staff
- Engagement materials, including Story Cards and MemoryBio, for memory care